This bilingual weekly newspaper is the latest incentive by Government to promote transparency and accountability of its services and programs.
The imminent need of the Tongan population for information from its Government and its administration have once again re-activated the initiative to run another state-owned newspaper to replace its once longest-running predecessor, The Tonga Chronicle (Kalonikali Tonga) which was in circulation for more than forty years since 1964, up until it became privatized in 2009.
Tonga Weekly was approved by His Majesty's Cabinet to be established as a Public Enterprise in March 2012. Under the coordination of a Cabinet Newspaper Committee, the newspaper works closely with the Government's agency responsible for the dissemination of information and regulating communications services, the Ministry of Information and Communications.
It Head Office is located at the Vaiola Motu'a Complex, Nuku'alofa where the old Tonga Chronicle office was located. Management of the newspaper is under Deputy Secretary ‘Alifeleti Tu'ihalamaka while editorial is under Faka'osi Maama.
Issued by the: Ministry of Information and Communications, Nuku'alofa, 2012.
Address: MIC, 1st Floor, O.G. Sanft Building, Taufa'ahau Road, P.O. Box 1380, Nuku'alofa, KINGDOM OF TONGA.