MINISTRY OF REVENUE & CUSTOMS
WHO ARE WE
The Inland Revenue Division (IRD) of the Ministry of Revenue is responsible for the collection of tax revenue for the government. The IRD works closely with all sectors of the economy to ensure they understand the tax system as well as legal requirements.
- Maximise on a timely basis the collection of government revenue. Revenue collection is the most significant function of the IRD Resources are employed to gear up revenue collection effectively and efficiently.
- To improve, encourage and strengthen compliance with the tax legislations and regulations. The backbone of IRD tax administration is to develop incentives convincing taxpayers of the mutual benefits of voluntary compliance with all tax legislation.
- Quick, responsive and impartial in servicing taxpayers. IRD must act quickly in servicing taxpayers, collecting revenue and must be impartial in carrying out their tasks.
- Deal innovatory with non-compliance, tax evasion and tax avoidance. Tax evasion and avoidance are two major constraints facing IRD, and the Department must act appropriately and innovatory with these problems.
MINISTER FOR REVENUE & CUSTOMS: Hon. Tevita Lavemaau
CEO OF REVENUE & CUSTOMS: Mr. 'Anisi Bloomfield
DIRECTOR OF CUSTOMS: Mr. Kelemete vahe
The Divisions are: Large Business, Small Business, Technical Services and Corporate Services.
ROLES & FUNCTION
The major role of IR is to collect taxes to fund Government's operations. This role must be carried out in such a way that the IR administration is recognised as being fair and carrying out its duties with integrity and a high level of professionalism.
The basic functions of IRD includes:
- Administering of tax legislation and regulations.
- Collecting of all tax revenues due to the Government in accordance with the Tax legislation.
- Issuing of taxpayer's tax assessments.
- Settling of taxpayer's objections by taxpayers in accordance with tax legislation
- Providing tax services and assistance to taxpayers.
IRD operates within the following legislation:
- Income Tax Act (2007)
- Revenue Services Administration Act (2002) as amended
- Consumption Tax Act (2003) as amended
- Public Finance management Act (2002)
REVENUE HEAD OFFICE IN NUKU'ALOFA:
QUEENS SALOTE EX-STUDENTS CENTER
P.O Box 7
Ph: +676 23 444
Fax: +676 26 638
Vava'u Regional Office:
P.O Box 114
Ph: +676 70 034
Fax: +676 70 857
Ha'apai Regional Office:
Ph: +676 60 456