THE CABINET See Photo Profile
Cabinet is the centre of the "management of government".
The Cabinet is the executive branch of government, and in accordance with clause 41 the Ministers meet collectively in Cabinet to consider the business of government. They are chosen from amongst the members of the Legislative Assembly, except for any appointed Ministers who, on appointment, become members of the Legislative Assembly
Relationship and role of Cabinet in Government and the Country as a whole.
Its relationships with the other parts of government are both practical and constitutional.
- the Legislature with the Monarch;
- the Public Service with the Monarch;
- the Public Service with the Legislature;
- the Judiciary with the Monarch; and
- the people and the Kingdom of Tonga with the outside world underinternational law.
This connecting role of Cabinet in the governmental system means that a document setting out conventions, working principles and relationships between key institutions of government is of considerable constitutional significance.
Members of His Majesty's Cabinet
- Head of Cabinet - The Prime Minister, Lord Tu'ivakano - Minister for Information and Communications, Foreign Affairs and Defence, Acting Minister for Police, Fire Services and Prisons
- Deputy Prime MInister - Hon. Samiu Kuita Vaipulu - Minister for Infrastructure
- Minister for Lands, Environment, Climate Change & Natural Resources - Lord Ma'afu
- Minister for Education and Training - Hon. 'Ana Maui Taufe'ulungaki
- Minister for Health - Lord Tu'i'afitu
- Minister for Finance and National Planning - Hon. Lisiate 'Aloveita 'Akolo
- Minister for Commerce and Tourism - Hon. Dr. Viliami Uasike Latu
- Minister for Internal Affairs - Lord Vaea
- Minister for Justice - Hon. Clive Edwards
- Minister for Public Enterprises - Hon. Fe'ao Vakata
- Minister for Revenue Services, Minister for Police, Fire Services and Prisons - Hon. Siosifa Tu'utafaiva
- Minister for Agriculture, Food, Forests and Fisheries - Hon. Sangster Saulala
Secretariat for the Cabinet is the Chief Secretary and Secretary to Cabinet - Mr. 'Aholotu Palu (Acting)