THE CABINET See Photo Profile
Cabinet is the centre of the "management of government".
The Cabinet is the executive branch of government, and in accordance with clause 41 the Ministers meet collectively in Cabinet to consider the business of government. They are chosen from amongst the members of the Legislative Assembly, except for any appointed Ministers who, on appointment, become members of the Legislative Assembly
Relationship and role of Cabinet in Government and the Country as a whole.
Its relationships with the other parts of government are both practical and constitutional.
- the Legislature with the Monarch;
- the Public Service with the Monarch;
- the Public Service with the Legislature;
- the Judiciary with the Monarch; and
- the people and the Kingdom of Tonga with the outside world underinternational law.
This connecting role of Cabinet in the governmental system means that a document setting out conventions, working principles and relationships between key institutions of government is of considerable constitutional significance.
Members of His Majesty's Cabinet
- Head of Cabinet - The Prime Minister, Hon. Samiuela 'Akilisi Pohiva - Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade and Minister for Education and Training
- Deputy Prime Minister - Hon. Siaosi 'Ofakivahafolau Sovaleni - Minister for Meteorology, Energy, Information, Diaster Management, Environment, Climate Change and Communications.
- Minister for Lands & Natural Resources, Minister for His Majesty's Armed Forces - Lord Ma'afu
- Minister for Health - Saia Ma'u Piukala
- Minister for Finance and National Planning - Hon. 'Aisake Valu Eke
- Minister for Commerce and Tourism, Minister for Police, Fire Services and Prisons - Hon. Pohiva Tui'onetoa
- Minister for Internal Affairs - Hon. Sosefo Fe'aomoeata Vakata
- Minister for Justice - Hon. Vuna Fa'otusia
- Minister for Public Enterprises - Hon. Poasi Mataele Tei
- Minister for Revenue and Customs - Hon. Tevita Lavemaau
- Minister for Agriculture, Food, Forests and Fisheries - Hon. Semisi Tauelangi Fakahau
Secretariat for the Cabinet is the Chief Secretary and Secretary to Cabinet - Ms. Palenitina Langa'oi